If you’re someone who cooks regularly, then you may know the struggle of cleaning the mess it creates afterwords.
A stove burner cover is a quick and long-lasting solution to the hassle of cleaning your stove every time you cook.
You don’t need to worry about all the oil splatters, spilled sauce, or food crumbs making a mess on your stove, the stove burner covers take care of all this mess before it even happens.
What Is The Purpose Of Stove Burner Covers?
Apart from being decorative and attractive, their main function is to keep the area around the burner clean and stain-free.
When working with oil, it usually splatters on the burner making it a hassle to clean up afterwords. This is where a stove burner cover is mostly used.
They can also create an additional surface if you have limited space in your kitchen.
What Should You Consider When Buying Stove Burner Covers?
You may consider these things before buying a stove burner cover so that it matches your needs:
- Stove type: Check what type of stove you have before buying, is it a gas stove or an electric stove? For instance, if a metal burner cover does not work with an electric stove, it would slide right off of it.
- Dimensions: Measure your stove beforehand and choose accordingly to the measurements. So it would be able to do a decent job.
- Do your research: Search thoroughly for good stove burner covers, there are many options out there such as covers that work as a cutting board as well, some that extend space that can be used as a pantry, some made out of thick fiberglass, some made of metal, etc.
- Some materials are highly flammable: Unlike metal ones, PTFE has the disadvantage of being flammable but it does have a pretty high melting point, but it may melt with direct contact with fire.
- Choose from a disposable or a reusable cover: If you are someone who cooks often and does not have enough time to clean then you might like a disposable one.
- Glass covers can cover the entire burner space: It could protect the burner from food splatters and makes cleaning easier.
- Keep your budget in mind: Figure out how much money you can spend on stove burner covers. There are some cheap as well as expensive options available.
Disposable Vs. Reusable
For a reusable stove burner cover, PTFE or fiberglass cover might be the best option. The broader a cover is, the easier it is to clean. Typically a PTFE or a fiberglass burner covers 0.2mm to 0.3mm.
For a disposable stove burner cover, aluminum is a popular choice, they are removable and substantially thinner.
You might be able to clean them a couple of times, however, they mostly come in huge quantities which makes it more convenient to swap out the old ones.
Are Stove Burner Covers Safe?
Yes, stove burner covers are safe to use. They can resist heat for about 260°C and do not get deformed even with extreme heat, but they can be burnt if touched directly to the flame. Of course, there are metal covers that do not catch fire even if touched directly by the flame.
What Materials Are Stove Burner Covers Made From?
PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) – It is a fire-resistant material with a melting point of about 315°C. Most reusable covers are made from this.
Glass fiber – A glass fiber is similar to PTFE but it has a higher heat resistance of about 371°C.
Aluminum – they are mostly used as disposable stove burner covers because they are cheap. Aluminum stove burner covers are usually made from recycled items with a melting point of 660°C.
Can You Cook On Burner Covers?
Yes, you can cook on some burner covers, but it depends on the material of the cover you’re using. For instance, you can cook on a cover made of metal but not on a silicon one.
Can You Put Burner Covers On A Gas Stove?
Yes, you can put burner covers on as a gas stove. These covers are reusable and it is totally safe to use on a gas stove.
They are really easy to clean as well, you can just wipe the dust and oil or food splatters really easily.
When it comes to gas stove burner covers, you should consider the build-up of gas it might create. This build-up may create a hazardous situation.
If a flammable substance comes in contact with the build-up, it might catch fire. So make sure to be careful and not let this thing happen.
Just consider these things if you’re looking for gas or electric stove covers as they’re created for different kinds of stoves.
Can You Wash Burner Covers?
Yes, you can wash burner covers. The reusable burner covers can be washed and used again, but remember to clean them by hand if they are not dishwasher safe. Always check the instruction list to see if they can be washed in a dishwasher.
Why Do Gas Stoves Have Glass Covers?
A gas stove with a glass cover has sealed compartments so they have better cooling and heating speed.
Here are some reasons why gas stoves have glass covers-
- Protects the burners from food splatters, as the burners are under the glass covers they are protected by any splatter. So there’s no need to clean the burner pan.
- A glass cover on a gas stove actually heats up within a few seconds. It cools down just as fast it heats up. Which makes it safer in case someone accidentally puts their hands on it.
- Creates more counter space, and the glass cover can also be used as additional space when they are not in use. It can be really helpful if you have a small kitchen.
- They are easier to clean, since they are made of glass you can just wipe them.
- They keep the surroundings cool as well since they do not conduct heat well. Only the surface keeps hot.
How To Clean Stove Burner Covers
Stove burners need to be cleaned regularly, here is how you can clean them efficiently-
- Method 1: Soak the burner covers overnight in hot, soapy water. Doing this will make it really easy to clean, you just need to scrub the remaining grease or food splatters and then rinse. Allow the covers to dry completely before placing them on the stove again.
- Method 2: Make a paste by mixing up baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the burner cover and scrub them until they are clean. Then rinse them with water and dry them.
- Method 3: Soak the covers in vinegar + water solution overnight. Scrub off any remaining food particles, rinse and dry them and you’re pretty much done.
- Method 4: Just like the vinegar solution, make an ammonia solution and allow the burner covers to soak properly for about half an hour. Scrub if needed, rinse and allow them to dry completely.
- Method 5: Some of the stove burner covers are dishwasher safe, just check if before and put the covers in the dishwasher if they are dishwasher friendly.
How To Remove Old Grease From Stove Cast Iron Burner Covers
Using salt is the most effective method to remove old grease from stove cast iron burner covers
- Step 1 – Sprinkle some salt and water on the greased spot
- Step 2 – Scrub it off gently
- Step 3 – Wipe the salt off of the cover with paper towels
- Step 4 – Rinse it off with hot water
- Step 5 – Dry the cover completely and they’re ready to be used
Adding a stove burner cover can save you so much time and it makes cleaning a lot easier. Cleaning your stove burner can be a hassle that is where a stove burner cover is mostly used, as it reduces the cleaning to a minimum.
They also make your kitchen more aesthetic and elegant. Stove burner covers can extend counter space, if your kitchen has less space you can use the covers to put some utensils on when the burner is not in use.